Another case of the Misinformed

I know I’ve been scarce it’s been that whole life thing getting in the way. But I was sitting here and saw a tweet from Angela

This lady is not happy about some pagans being in the running for the Top 25. All I am going to say that it’s a… http://fb.me/FWQRv1ve

So I went and checked it out. Wow. That’s all I could say at first. The amount of hate coming from the blog was astounding. And this is supposed to be a Christian Blog. Time-Warp Wife with the tagline “Empowering women to joyfully serve” has struck a chord that quite frankly makes me sick to my stomach. The first part that got to me was this:

Mixed in with the “faith” blogs are pagan blogs. In fact one of those bloggers, a self-professing witch wrote, “Looking at the nominations there were a couple of pagan blogs which thrilled me to no end. How cool would it be for one of the pagan bloggers to win the top spot?”

How sad is that? What’s even more disturbing is that one of these bloggers describes herself as, “Parenting a witchlet, being a priestess in the greater pagan community, navigating the world as a religious minority, and educating myself and others (including my own son) about this path.” Beside that blurb, we see the photo of a woman holding her newborn child.

Were the bloggers in question doing anything wrong? No they blog about their faith. The list in question is from the Circle of Mom’s website. It’s for the Top 25 Faith Blogs Seems like a good fit to me. Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Mormon, Pagan, Hindu All different faiths but no mention is made of any other religion except Pagan. We are the evil ones. We are the ones that need to be banished. Um, why exactly?

I went on to read more and she says this:

I love my children with all my heart, but there are times that I am strongly against the things that they do. Should they steal, cheat, or lie, I won’t love them any less, but I will not tolerate that kind of behavior.

Hey guess what? Pagans don’t tolerate that stuff either! Are there a few bad apples in the bunch every now and then? Sure. It’s called free will. Look at the issue with Catholic Priests and alter boys. Should we condemn the entire religion because of some poor choices? No there are still good Catholics out there and even still good priests out there.

I think this “attack” and yes I am calling it an attack because of the way it’s been presented and continues to be presented in facebook threads like this. We are being called “evil creatures”, they are praying for our souls, for our children’s souls, they are fearful that we are on the PTAs at our local schools. It is being said that our mere existence is an attack on their Christian faith. It’s turning into hate mongering and frankly it’s disgusting.

Are we supposed to return the favor? Are we supposed to rant and rave and threaten their children’s souls? Get out the torches and pitchforks and form a little mob and fight back? No. The pagans that have responded have done so with dignity and pride. They’ve thanked them for their comments, offered to keep them in their thoughts and prayers as well, and spoken about how they promote tolerance within their own families and children.

I really believe it’s a case of fear and misinformation. Something people don’t understand therefore it needs to be attacked and gotten rid of. Perhaps with education it can bridge the gap, but it’s hard to do that when the other side set the bridge on fire.

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

23 Responses to “Another case of the Misinformed”

1. annie says:

well done.
    I am standing up and applauding your lovely response.

2. Skye says:

You said it a whole lot nicer than I wanted to.

3. The Outside Voice says:

Thank you both. There were a lot worse things swirling around in my head but that would be stooping to their level. Can’t fight hate with hate.

4. Anyaria says:

I have seen this in my own life. My friend’s mother was appalled by the thought that her and her young daughter ate lunch in my home. As if I poisoned the food or some how cast a spell on them by sharing a meal! I would love to point out that their own doctrine state “do not judge…..” Yet they never can seem to remember that.

The Outside Voice Reply:

Sis you and I have had many conversations about this. For the most part it’s hypocritical. It’s love thy neighbor with a long list of reasons not to.

5. MrsB says:

Though my first reaction was not so nice, I did take a nice deep breath before leaving a message on her page. Hopefully our kind responses might give her a different point of view on Pagans. We can always hope.
    MrsB recently posted..And the winner is

Sisterlisa Reply:

I hope they can see a different view of Christianity. :/ This whole thing saddens me to no end. I follow Christ and I am sick about how you’re all being treated. You have shown far more grace than those who claim to love the one who offered them grace to save them.
    Sisterlisa recently posted..Offering Living Water to Pagans

The Outside Voice Reply:

Thank you so much Sister Lisa. There is a way we can all coexist without all the hate and the mudslinging…and really the hate.

The Outside Voice Reply:

I’m right there with you Kris. When I first read it I cursed up one side and down the other. But I was alone so no one heard me. Then took my time with the response with several edits. We can hope it will help the viewpoint. I just fear that their view is too far gone.

Emma Reply:

I went out and left a post on one of those hateful blogs tonight too.. read it to my hubby first to make sure I wasn’t dropping down to their level. I spoke of the love of Jesus Christ and how the word “witchcraft” is not in any of the original texts but had been used by some out of fear and the desire to dominate. I would just like for people to be tolerant. They don’t have to like it, but they don’t have to be nasty about it either.
    Emma recently posted..What the bloody fuck

6. Dae says:

I’m so proud of our community, everyone has been so great both to Mrs. B and to the others who, unfortunately, take a rather backwards view on things. Love your blog Mrs. Frank! :)

The Outside Voice Reply:

The response from the Pagan community was amazing. Everyone came together and rallied so fast it was unbelievable.

7. Sarah says:

You know this is exactly how I wish I would have said what I would want to say if I ever discussed religion on my blog. You are a rock star lady…
    Sarah recently posted..Worst Idea…EVER

The Outside Voice Reply:

You know you can use your outside voice over here any time you’d like :D
    And if I’m a rock star it’s because you got me there.

8. V.R. Leavitt says:

Great post…so true.
    V.R. Leavitt recently posted..Killer Apps

[Reply]

9. Very well said! This is my first visit to your blog and I’m definitely going to be coming back :)

10. Nydia says:

Wonderful post!!! I also blogged about it, but your words are perfect!

Kisses and bright blessings from Nydia, Brazil.

The Outside Voice Reply:

Nydia so good to see you here! I hope things are well in Brazil

11. Renee Olson says:

Wonderful Post I love it! I posted a list of the Pagan Mom blogs listed in the Moms of Faith area to drum up some support for them.

Great post!

12. Susie Q says:

Great Post! Thank you!

13. Pncake says:

Well said! Blessed Be!

[Reply]

14. [...] a week ago I blogged about an issue that was going on with the Top 25 Faith Blogs at Circle of Mom’s. Needless to [...]